As the year rolls over tonight, people all over the world will be reflecting, accepting, recognizing, challenging, acknowledging and celebrating moments from the year they have just experienced.
And looking towards the new year with fresh eyes, and hearts and minds ready for positive change.
The world has never been an easy place, and the last few years have torn shreds into many people’s sense of safety in all aspects of their lives. For myself, 2023 has been a year that grabbed my heart and shook me to my core, leading me to look at what’s really important in my life through many lenses and make some different choices going forward.
This is an important time of year for some metacognition, ‘to think about your thinking’, especially in regard to your Mindset.
My call to courage for the new year is to challenge my Scarcity Mindset and focus on growing an Abundance Mindset, as I’m deeply aware that this is the shift that will help me navigate the days and months ahead in this rollercoaster of emotion we call ‘life’.
As Aiko Bethea says in her blog, a Scarcity Mindset brings “constant focus on what is lacking (real or perceived), which shapes how you react to, or respond to situations, see yourself and others, and even frame situations.
In an Abundance Mindset, you believe that there are enough resources in the world for everyone. You feel accepting of and grateful for whatever the universe brings your way.
You feel whole and worthy, and your sense of self is not reliant on what other’s think of you, if you win, how much you have, or how successful you are.“
Aiko goes on to say, “This acceptance is also grounded in seeing some of the most challenging or vulnerable parts of ourselves and embracing them and inviting them on our journey.”
Here are some powerful reflections as you think about cultivating your own Abundance Mindset in 2024:
- Define what “enough“ means for you, and what parts of your life you want to trim down or ramp up.
- Revisit your core values (they may have changed) – they’re the filter you’re going to need to help you make decisions from a place of abundance, rather than scarcity!
- What boundaries do you need to put in place so that you can protect your energy?
- Identify your Wellness Zones (places and activities where you feel joyful, renewed and connected) and find ways to spend more time there?
- Surround yourself with people who bring an Abundance Mindset to life!
- Keep a Gratitude Journal in 2024 – name 3 things you’re thankful for every day (including all the small things like playing with a child, or enjoying a hot shower).
May 2024 be a year fill with love, connection, belonging, acceptance and a deep knowing that you are enough. You are whole and worthy. You deserve to receive all that you ask for in all aspects of your life, and I look forward to building many more memories with you in the months ahead.